Have you ever experienced the dreaded “3PM Crash”? If so, let’s take a quick peek at why it happens and check out some awesome ways to combat it so you can enjoy MAX energy, focus, mental clarity and elevated mood each day.
First thing to consider is, Why Does The 3PM Crash Happen?
It’s completely normal and totally natural. During this time of day, a few hours after lunch, your food may have been digested and your blood sugar may be low. During this time, the brain also releases melatonin as it’s gearing down to rest. To combat the 3PM crash, people naturally gravitate towards eating more food.
The problem is is that people tend to gravitate towards things that cause a spike in blood sugar and insulin which causes another sugar crash before dinner and increases cravings like crazy! These types of food are usually empty carbs (foods high in sugar but low in protein). Unfortunately humans tend to consume sugar loaded energy drinks, supplements, candy and junk food to enjoy an momentary energy boost. Not only can you develop an unhealthy dependency on these types of foods, but you are at risk for gaining weight and developing issues like inflammation, insulin issues, hormone imbalances, thyroid issues, diabetes, insomnia and more.
An alternative to consuming complex & simple carbs and sugars is to increase the amount of healthy fats in your diet. Humans used to use fat as their primary source of fuel giving them long lasting energy to burn. At breakfast, lunch dinner or during a snack, opting for swapping your carbs and sugars for some healthy fats such as nuts, olive oil, avocados has huge benefits.
Here is a short list of some healthy alternatives to prevent the 3pm crash:
- Dark Chocolate
- Whole Eggs
- Fatty Fish
- Chia Seeds
- Fat Coffee
- Prüvit’s KETO//OS
And unlike carbs, which make our blood-sugar levels erratic, fats digest very slowly. Be careful, eating too much of them in one sitting can make us feel tired because our bodies have to work harder to break them down.
Additional causes of the 3pm crash:
- Being super sedentary causes more fatigue- Walk around every hour or so to prevent your body from suffering. Your body can’t use fat to make energy if you’re sitting, so your muscles will get sleepy which will cause you you to want to take a nap. Go for a walk in nature, get in an afternoon gym session or take 10-15 minutes and do some energy restorative yoga.
- Dehydration not only causes headaches & muscle cramps but it can also cause fatigue. The number one thing you can do to prevent this is to stay hydrated. The average person needs about 64oz of water a day which equates to 8 – 8oz glasses of water.
- Tip #1: Drink 3 32oz bottles a day and you will exceed your water intake goal for the day.
- Tip #2: Drink 8-16oz of water as soon as you wake up. As soon as you go to the bathroom and after every time you go to the bathroom during the day, drink another 8-16 oz of water. You are properly hydrated if you urine is a light yellow shade. If your urine is dark yellow, your body needs more water.
- Not getting enough sun can cause afternoon fatigue. Absorbing light energy earlier in the morning helps set our circadian rhythm for the day. A regulated circadian rhythm may also help steady our metabolisms. A recent study showed that people who basked in bright sunlight within two hours after waking tended to be thinner and better able to manage their weight, regardless of what they ate throughout the day.
- Not getting enough restorative sleep is the number 1 cause for afternoon fatigue. It is very important to get good restorative, regenerative sleep at night to function at your best the next day. Start a nice night time routine earlier in the evening to power down effectively to have a great nights rest. Here are some tips that may help:
- Tip #1 – Power down by turning devices off or in sleep mode. Turn on some lavender essential oils.
- Tip #2 – Adopt a relaxing skin care regimen and practice a refreshing oral hygiene routine.
- Tip #3 – Take a warm bath or a hot shower. When you are through, have a glass of wine or cup of night time tea while reading a book or something positive in nature that is serving you and your goals. Another option is to journal your day, write down your praises and prayers or 5 – 10 things that you are thankful and grateful for.
- Tip #4 – Before completely going to sleep, opt for an evening yoga session that helps you stretch and release the rest of the day’s tension and worries.
- Tip #5 – Follow up your yoga session with some guided meditation. There are many videos on YouTube.
- Tip #6 – When you are ready to completely go to sleep, if you can’t stand silence, turn on a fan or a sleep sound app that has soothing nature noises. Want to take it up a notch? Let your mind rest and drift to the sounds of binaural beats, Tibetan bowls, and DNA repairing sleep sound frequency’s (also can be found on YouTube).
Recap to avoid the 3pm crash and to experience the best you, with MAX energy for a productive day: Avoid Sugar, Eat More Healthy Fats, Drink KETO//OS, Move More, Stay Hydrated, Get More Sun & Experience Better Sleep.